Pages

11 November 2010

Rejuvenation

I am beginning to sense a theme here.  Last Wednesday night, when I wrote last, I had gotten to spend time out of the house, ALONE.  When I returned, I told my mother-in-law, who was watching the kids, that I felt as if I had slept for eight hours.  It was so rejuvenating.  Here I am one week later, feeling well rested once more.  I had a small bit of time ALONE again today.

Often the very things I love cause great stress.  It is ridiculous.  Today I went to three great places, all of which can bring on bouts of hyperventilation.  First stop was a fabulous toy store which should probably be called a toy boutique.  At least, that's what I would call it.  (Yes, I do have fantasies of owning a toy/book boutique filled with any and every European, wooden toy known to man.)  What fun to peruse all the brightly colored, well made toys.  I picture my kids (possibly wearing lederhosen) spending hours blissfully ignoring the tv and computer to nourish their creative, imaginative powers.  Somewhere between the wooden knights' castle and the board games, reality sets in.  Closet space, budget and family game night come to mind.  Barely enough, never enough and often ends in tears and/or arguments.  It is often painful to move from possibility to reality, isn't it?


Next stop was an adorable cupcake shop.  Generally, positioning myself in front of baked goods causes stress.  Talk about moving from possibility to reality.  I want a bite of everything but have to commit to just one.  Reminds me of the hair color episode back in England.  I have to remember, I was not marrying the hair color and this will not be the last sweet I ever eat.  Today was different.  Today was simple.  She had me at pumpkin.  Add cream cheese frosting and it was a no-brainer.  Everything about this miniature shop on Magazine Street made my heart sing, from the mounds of beautifully decorated cupcakes to the turquoise walls, right down to the bistro-style table and chairs inviting you to linger a little while.  Pure bliss.

On to another favorite- Whole Foods.  I sigh the minute I walk through the doors.  It is an absolute feast for the eyes, not to mention the smells and all those great samples to taste.  Until visiting this store, I didn't know produce could make me smile.  Honestly, it is God at his best.  Can you believe He created all those beautiful fruits and vegetables?  It almost makes me want to be a vegetarian.  I said ALMOST!  Don't even get me started on the bakery or the salad bar.  The best part about the salad bar is that I don't have to marry one dish.  I can date them all!  Who thought wheat berries could look so good?  Today I had curried chicken salad, basmati rice salad and chickpea and vegetable salad.  That pumpkin cupcake was the perfect finish.


I was wondering what it was about my outing that made me feel rejuvenated.  What had my heart singing, feeling invigorated?  Then I realized the common thread was beauty.  The finely crafted toys, the handmade sweets and display after display at Whole foods are all beautiful.  What does beauty show us?  Very simply, when we encounter beauty, we encounter God.  I'll end with this lovely quote I found.


Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting -- a wayside sacrament.
Welcome it in every fair face, in every fair sky, in every flower, and thank God for it as a cup of blessing.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

May you see God's handwriting all around you.
Dina

PS.  Thanks for all the great comments after the last post and for sharing your hate!

1 comment:

  1. Hey you! So now I am very hungry and missing all of magazine street. Thanks for the great visuals and the smells you sent me. Life now is craaaazzzyy. College applications, more swim meets than humanly possible and a house to clean, a job to go to etc....But you help me remember why we do what we do. Love my kids! I am blessed to know each and every one of them. Thanks for the blog...looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete